Friday, November 4, 2011

November: Staying Warm from the Inside.




When I was a kid, my Grandparents always used to say, "Always eat hot food and drink hot beverages when its cold outside". And when I grew up to be able to do things on my own, I always challenged those old, wise words with rebellious words and actions, just because I could! And when I reached the age where it all made sense, I ended up saying the same thing to my kids. Its especially tough to follow through those wise words, when you live in a modern world where refrigerators come with ice and cold water dispensers and freezers just grow in size. But generally I have observed that any cultural-born, Old sayings that we heard from ancestors and passed on to the next generations, will be scoffed upon by skeptics until it becomes a celebrity induced fad or is proven by someone's research to market a product. But that calls for an entirely different buzz post...for now, I don't want to stray from the original topic. :-)
But nevertheless, its always a comforting thing to have something hot when its pouring cats and dogs outside or just cold and windy outside. Once fall sets in, I love making something hot for my kids, when they get home with red noses and cold hands (keep them away from me, brrr!) from play or school. And after the initial protests, that they are hot, I have always seen the goodies disappear, even before they are completely cold.
I usually have snack-y soups, occasional fried savories that goes well with Teas, lightly sweet or savory cookies with Hot cocoas and grilled cheesy sandwiches and Hot Ciders, especially for this time of the year, which surprisingly never seems to end here, in Seattle.
Scientifically, human body mimics a lot of animal behavior during Fall and Winter by being more hungry and therefore, eating more than usual and storing fat. That's why its more important to be really careful about what you eat during these seasons. Eating more complex carbs that will make you fuller, faster and using lean meats and proteins will make sure you get full, and stay full, faster and longer respectively. Eating small meals frequently is one way that works for me, and snacking is a good way to go. And adding a low calorie beverage to any snack makes it a winner.

That brings us to this Month which marks the start to chilly winters, at least to this part of the world. This month, the spotlight will be on Hot Snacks and appetizers that will warm you up, keep those hunger pangs at bay until dinner, or the next meal. This month I will be sharing, Creamy Tomato Bisque and Grilled Cheese Sandwich dippers,  Pepperminty Hot Chocolate, a much awaited Biscotti recipe and then some.
Some of them are traditional favorites and some a new approach or an invention. ;-)
Hope you have fun trying them all......Happy November and Bon Appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment