Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pepperminty Hot Chocolate


I am a die hard fan of Chocolate and will eat as much as I can, and gladly skip lunches to compensate. Well, no one likes to admit these secrets of addiction, but I'm sure there are many like me out there, who might not feel alone, on this! (wink)
This Hot chocolate recipe was originally made of heavy cream, but that definitely didnt appeal to the halo-ed side of me, so I came up with the full fat milk version which IS just as creamy without all that artery clogging stuff. My very dear friend, who is a protein freak, made my recipe by substituting the whole milk with her protein mix and it did taste good, despite her hubby sounding like a Howitzer the whole day (One of my main reasons of hating Protein add-ons. Which girl in her right mind, would want to break the romantic notion of boys, that Girls dont fart???)
Either you go traditional with cream or pick full fat milk, or use hot water and drinking cocoa, just make sure the liquid is real hot...less hotter the liquid, the grittier the chocolate!
And Grown-ups, do try spiking it with your hard liqueurs. Kahlua Chocolate or Coffee Liquors are excellent with Hot Chocolate.


Ingredients:-
3 1/2 cups whole homogenized milk
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated or use the ready made chips- just make sure they are chopped fine or grated.
a pinch of salt (Ooh, yeah! Think I'm B.S ing? Go ahead try it with and without salt, and tell me which tasted better! :-P )
6 tsp sugar (more if you need it, but this much sugar is usually enough for me)
1/2 tsp peppermint oil or 1 tsp peppermint extract
Whipped cream, optional
Chocolate shavings, for garnish....Not Optional, Cmon!
Candy canes---definitely optional...its just to make it look fancy! ;-)





Directions:-
In a nonstick sauce pan, heat the milk and when its really hot and boils a little, add the sugar and chocolate. Let it come back to a gentle boil, with froth rising up. Keep stirring until it thickens a little. Stir in the peppermint and salt and remove from heat.
Pour into nice fat coffee or mocha mugs and add some whipped cream on top, then arrange a few chocolate shavings on top of the fluff. Now, just throw in a candy cane into the mug, and serve. Use immediately, and is best when freshly made. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment