Friday, December 9, 2011

Cauliflower Pakoras aka Kiddie Cauliflower Fries



When I posted the picture of some simple Cauliflower Fritters in my Facebook Album, "Edible Experiments" (which led to the birth of MMP), I never thought the picture would turn out so pretty and also cause so many requests for the recipe. This is one of my humbler inventions, which rose purely out of necessity.
When me and my better half enjoyed a spicy dish of Gobi Manchurian with Rotis, I noticed the kids didnt touch these and the regular excuse was "Its too spicy!" I soon grew tired of making them something simple and easy though I had a decent spread right there. And that was when I saw that kiddos had no problem on munching on the fried fritters before I added the spices and Veggies to it. The earlier version was much bland and I decided if the kids had to eat it with Flat breads for dinner, it needed to have some kind of flavor to it. And thus was born the Cauliflower Pakoras that I split into two portions and continued with the larger portion, to make me and hubby our spicy Gobi Manchurian and left the kids the mild fries that they could dunk, make wrap-stuffing out of, or even as a sabzi (cooked vegetables) for dinner, that saved a lot of time and labor.
Though I call it Pakoras, they are not made with traditional gram flour. They are made with all purpose flour or corn flour, to make it taste more like take-out.

Ingredients:- 
1 head of cauliflower trimmed into florets. Leave about an inch of stem on each floret, lots of fiber and easy to drop into the oil.
2 eggs---beaten lightly with salt and pepper
1/2 cup of all purpose flour/ corn flour
1 tbsp each of finely minced ginger and garlic
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp baking soda
Oil- to deep fry



Method:-
Boil a pot of water and add a tbsp of salt to it. When it boils, throw in the florets and cover it with a lid and switch off the heat. Keep it lidded for 5 mins.
Lift one floret to see if it is steaming. If yes, then drain the water and dump the florets on a kitchen towel/paper towel and let it dry.
meanwhile, mix together the eggs, flour, ginger garlic mince and soy sauce together. Check seasoning and if you need, add a drop of hot sauce, salt etc to suit your taste.
Lastly stir in the baking soda.
Drop the drained florets into the batter. The batter should be thick enough to coat the florets completely. Let it sit. Meanwhile get the frying pan and oil ready. When the oil is hot, using a spoon drop individual batter coated florets into the oil and deep fry on medium high heat, until its puffed and golden brown uniformly. Don't let it brown too quickly...a slow browning on medium heat is preferred, or else the florets will be crisp not tender,on the inside.
Repeat until all the florets are fried, in batches.
Drain the browned fritters on paper towels and enjoy them hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment