Friday, June 6, 2014

Easy Peasy Doughnut Holes

This recipe came to me when I told one of my American friends Sherry R,  how I ended up craving doughnut holes throughout my pregnancy, but always after my dinner, and how insane it was to send my poor hubby out on a doughnut run. Ok, I have done it in my hormone driven craziness, but more than 3 times a week? That was the insane part! Buying it and freezing it seemed like a good option until I tried to defrost it. The soggy, sticky, lifeless thing did not resemble like the dreamy glazed puffed up beauties I was craving in the first place. That was when I decided to up my standards and make my own hot, fresh doughnut holes.
And for the ones who still wonder what doughnut holes are, they are small, round, bite-sized doughnuts that the Doughnut chains claim are the bi-product of making doughnuts. I don't buy that! I believe these babies are better than real doughnuts, due to their amazing "poppability" and portion control and they need to be giver a better name than doughnut holes, which sounds like you-know-what, a term for mean people.
So here is my version of Doughnut holes, which my dear friend Sherry and I, both have adapted, because it is so much more better than its Vegan version, which we tried recreating in those early experimenting days.
This recipe makes 12 poppers.


Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 egg
4 tablespoons buttermilk or milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioner's sugar (optional)

Doughnut holes, rolled in confectioners sugar, while still hot.


Method:-
Cream together the butter, sugar and milk. 
Then add the egg and beat lightly until combined well. When combined, add the vanilla and stir well.
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Make a well in the center of the dry flour mixture and pour the egg mixture in. Stir gently. Do not overmix.
In a cast iron or enamel frying pan, heat oil until approximately 350 - 375 degree Fahrenheit.
Drop spoonfuls of the batter in the hot oil. Some balls might turn over on their own as the bottom gets cooked and they puff up. If not turning over on its own, help a little using a fork or spoon.
Fry until its golden brown all over.
Remove from oil, drain well and roll in powdered sugar or enjoy as is.
Goes perfect with Coffee and Tea.

2 comments: